Radical Self Reliance

   I don't always rise up to every single challenge with poise and grace. Sometimes all I can do is handle one challenge at a time with as much endurance and conviction as possible and some how make it through.
   But I feel that something has to be said for the number of challenges I have faced this year with out hesitation or how many elements are working against me that I have over come.  Like the fact that I have participated in fourteen festivals with out any stable means of transportation. At this point I feel like a train and public transportation expert, A ride share master and my self-reliance skills have improved immensely. As I am coming to the end of my season, I thought that some of the challenging I have over come (like transportation) were worth acknowledging. Now don't get me wrong, with out the people who have hosted me during my turn over periods between gigs, This whole thing would be a lot more difficult. I owe at least 30% of my success to my friend Nate who supports me every time I have to come back to Santa Barbara to get my affairs in order.
   But for the most part, there is a certain level of finesse, a lot of ingenuity and a M.O. for sustainability that is allowing me to thrive in such an obscure and transient life style. At Burning man they call it "Radical Self-Reliance".   I try to never be too proud to ask for help, but I will always try to take myself as far as I can. And for me, self reliance comes in the form of:

1) Always keeping my tent AKA my home AKA my sanctuary, well kept and clean
2) Managing my personal Items and personal needs. Such as
 *Managing my waste*Managing my hygiene*Making sure I am well nourished.
Even if my contract provides me with meals, showers and other enmities, if I bring everything myself and have it readily available, I am more independent, but also more available to do my job more efficiently. And to be completely honest my meal plans have been killin it lately (although I definitely learned a trick or two from burning man). I guess if I never expect anyone else to provide me with the thing I need, then I am never with out them. And if someone else does provide me with such enmities, then I have extra to be shared to those with out.
3) The third thing I have taken away form my time festival hopping as a sustainable lifestyle, was to constantly check in with myself and nourishing my psyche as well. Oregon Eclipse and Burning Man were Magical. No doubt about that. But I burnt myself out either partying too much or spending too much time serving others and not enough time on myself. By the end of Burning Man I was so burnt out, that I was forced to spend some time honoring and nourishing my mental and emotional well being. Which allowed for some really intimate  really rad learning and growth experiences. So I am super thankful for that. But, I am now putting intention into checking in with myself  way more often. It's so easy to get swept off your feet in festival world. You get a brief moment to orient yourself, and then as soon as the GO signal is given, you enter a state of constant movement. And between work, play, all of the cool art and learning opportunities, its hard for me to slow down enough to check in with myself. I will definitely be putting a lot more attention into that aspect of my life as I continue my travels.
     I am really proud of myself for how far I have come. I am not perfect. I have a lot of default world debt and challenges to face. But I set a goals to hit nine festivals this season, to find a way to make this lifestyle economically and environmentally sustainable for myself.  I have achieved all of those goals. I am still a working progress with constant room for improvement. But I am achieving my dreams and then some. As I am transitioning from the end of festival work into farm work and travel to other countries, I cant wait to see how the nature of my travels changes and how in some ways they will stay the same. And I cant wait to share all of my crazy adventures with all of you.
      I have infinite gratitude for those of you who keep reading. I know that this is a new blog and I am excited to see your reactions as it continues to grow. And thank you always for your continual support. Love Always and in All Ways
~TentLife~




Check out my mission statement and other blogs. 

https://thetentlifesb.blogspot.com/2017/06/mission-statement.html

Comments